Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ah... The West Coast.

The west coast of British Columbia is just about one of the most beautiful places on earth. It's a northern rain forest so there are a lot of gray days and wet weather, but when it's warm and the sun is shining, it is truly stunning. This is where I am from and I love it. Perhaps one day I'll be lucky enough to land a job in this area (not easy since it's one of the most livable areas in the world).
Also, on the west coast, people are active. There is a ton to do here: sailing, kayaking, boating, fishing, surfing (if you go to the island), hiking, running, lakes, camping, rock climbing, snow shoeing and cross country skiing (downhill too) in the winter months. So it's a pretty active place. I am sure that I forgot to mention a plethora of other things you can do here.
The other day I decided I would be a typical coaster and go on a hike. I planned to do some little hikes before hand but it didn't work out that way and since I've been running since January, I thought this would be hard but possible... I do the Grouse Grind. It's only 2.9 kilometers but it is straight up the side of the mountain... that's right, from the parking lot to the peak. And I did it. Took me about twice as long as your average hiker... but I grumbled, joked and winced my way to the top! Below are some picks of my west coast adventure!


We had to take the tram down (THANK GOD!!).

My partner in crime for this adventure (Lisa, aka Billy Goat)

Me... at the top... after lunch... dirty, tired, sweaty and stinky... and I am faking the look. I actually enjoyed the experience (once it was over of course).

The view from where we sat at the top of the mountain. It was simply stunning!


1 comment:

Kristen said...

I've never done it. I went once, not realising the guys I was with usually run up it and try to beat their times. I started, couldn't keep up, turned around and had a latte in the cafe at the bottom.