Saturday, August 15, 2015

When Fairytales Come True

When I was a little girl, I wanted to sleep in a princess bed. You know, the ones with the fancy curtains and gauzy netting all around. It didn't need to be pink (in fact, I hated pink back then) or gold or even very fancy, but it needed to have the pretty gauzy curtains. I held on to the romance of that childhood fantasy for years, right into my 30s. And now, as I'm about to turn 40, the fairytale bed has become my reality... Sort of:


But the romance of the bed is lost to the function of the gauze. It's there to keep the dengue filled Mosquitos from biting me in the wee hours of the dawn and making me sick. So, while I now have part of my childhood fairytale, there is none of the romance.  However, I'm more grateful for the practicality of the gauzy curtains than the romance or fantasy. So, thank you Dhaka for teaching me that practicality is a good thing! 

No comments: