Monday, November 15, 2010

Marine Balls


Every year the United States Marine Corps has a huge celebration for their birthday. This year was the 235th birthday. Marines all over the world throw a party for this day. When I lived in Korea, these parties were pretty exclusively military personnel and their wives or girlfriends, or dignitaries from the US Embassy, other embassies and the local people. So I never got to go to one. However, here in Ankara, there is such a small detachment, that they open the invitation to the international community and a large group from my school went. We listened to speeches (one of the speakers was really good), watched videos (one of which turned me into a sappy, teary-eyed person) and we ate a gorgeous meal and then danced the night away. It was a blast and I'm glad I got to go and have that experience. So, happy birthday Marines (sorry I am posting this about a week late) and thanks for the great party!

No comments: