Tuesday, March 9, 2010

When the walls yakked up red, white and blue!






One of the things that I alternately love and hate about the US is the patriotism. I love how much the people of this country are behind their country, how much they love it and how much they aren't afraid to shout it from the roof tops. I won't discuss why I dislike it... but I also wanted to share the patriotism going on in my school right now. The kindergartners are learning a great deal about US symbols, historical figures and songs that celebrate their heritage. Now, it's not easy as a Canadian to teach all that, but I will say that I am learning a lot about these neighbours to the south that are letting me hang out here for a while.

5 comments:

Beautiful dreamer said...

I think an intervention is in order...

AngelaMae said...

hahahaha I know, I know... but don't forget that I hate the patriotism as well, just don't feel like a blog with negativity is all that attractive. ;)

AprilMay said...

OK I am cracking up at the title of this post!! I want to know why you dislike patriotism though! I don't dislike being proud of your country, but I do dislike it when someone thinks that other countries are not as "good" as the USA. Man, I got that all the time when we returned to the states! Like, "Gosh aren't you glad you are back and not living in horrible Korea/Thailand/China?" Well, honestly, not really!

AngelaMae said...

I dislike it because I find it overwhelming and almost like brainwashing... and it's why so many of these kids grow up thinking they are better. I see it from the kids in the upper grades already... I know that my students aren't like that because I am careful to tell them that they should be proud of where they are from but that they should realize that all places are good, just different from what they know. I just wish the other teachers would expose them to more international stuff as well... *sigh* Please don't be angry at me Ape... I love being Canadian and I am proud of my country but when I taught there, we never did all this... our hallways never yakked up red and white... I guess I prefer a quiet pride in your homeland.

AprilMay said...

I am not angry! I totally agree with you. It also provides them with a false sense of entitlement, IMO. Sad. I tried to get an "International Week" started at my school here in Oregon but everyone pooh-poohed it. WHATever! :(