Tuesday, June 8, 2010

NEW YORK, NEW YORK!!!!

One of the places that I have wanted to go and see for a VERY long time is New York City. I've dreamed of being there since I was about 15 years old. And through many trials and tribulations, plans made and broken (my fault, someone else's, no ones' fault) et cetera and so on, I never got there... until NOW!! Over Memorial Day weekend here in the US, I waffled back and forth about going and finally I sucked it up and went. I went all by myself (yes, I drove... and let me tell you, pack lots of cash for the numerous toll charges or lots of food because you'll be on the road for a long time going around in order to avoid them). I stayed in a cheap motel that offered a free continental breakfast (they had a waffle iron... woohoo) and free parking (a rarity in this city) and that was close (6 or 10 blocks, who can tell the difference?!) to the subway system. Yes, I walked down the sketchy neighbourhood road to the trains and had numerous kind New Yorkers help me along the way. I got on an express train from Ozone Park NY that took me right to Times Square. It was awesome. I popped out of the subway and smelled hot dogs and pretzels. Mmm... YUM! Then I hopped a hop on, hop off bus and enjoyed the next 2 1/2 hours of funny stories from the tour guide and sites that made me happy and at home. Below are a few pictures of some of the sites I saw with a brief explanation. One thing I do know about NYC is that I'll be back, baby!!!


The horse carriages outside Central Park (next time I am SO going running there).

For those of you that watch the Real Housewives of New York... JILL ZARIN.... or at least her store. hahahaha

These are tiles near to Ground Zero. Kids from all over the nation painted them after 9/11. A little touch of love and hope in a sad, sad time.

I think it's called the Flat Iron Building (I could be wrong) but that triangular building is super cool and a landmark!

TIMES SQUARE! And it was every bit the zoo you imagine and hope that it will be... loved it!

A New York deli sandwich... MMMMMMMM the BOMB-diggidty! Loved it.

No comments: