Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Vacay...

So most of my teacher friends have already started their vacation time for the winter. It is usually 2 weeks (if you work for a public system) or 3 weeks (if you work for a private system). It's wonderful because you get to take a break, recharge and spend some great quality time with the people that you love. However, my school has decided that we should work until the 22nd and be back by the 4th. It is just 10 days exactly... and while 4 days may not seem like a big deal to most people, it is a right pain in the tush! Being there those extra days really cuts into my time to rest (which means get sick, because this is usually when my body gives me the middle finger for pushing it so hard for the last few months and takes a break by downing me with an illness)... it also cuts into the time you would spend preparing for the holidays (so if you live in southern VA, be prepared to see tons of teachers doing the last minute dash to the stores) and it cuts into the time you get to spend with your loved ones. For those of us not from this lovely land, it cuts into our ability to travel. My friends from Europe cannot go home because the expense is too high and the time is too short (you have to factor in the jet lag), and for me... it's just not enough time to make the $1500 for the trip home really worth it. Thankfully, my wonderful friend Raymond and his family are adopting me for the season... I hope I make a good impression and that the illness stays at bay until I get back from Texas... serves the school system right if all the teachers and kids come back ill because we didn't have enough time to do all the things you need to do on winter break!

No comments: